wig - WebApp Information Gathering Tool To Identify Fingerprinting of CMS
wig is a web application information gathering tool. Which can identify numerous Content Management Systems and other administrative applications. The application fingerprinting is based on checksums and string matching of known files for different versions of CMSes.
This results in a score being calculated for each detected CMS and its versions. Each detected CMS is displayed along with the most probable version(s) of it. The score calculation is based on weights and the amount of "hits" for a given checksum.
wig also tries to guess the operating system on the server based on the 'server' and 'x-powered-by' headers. A database containing known header values for different operating systems is included in wig, which allows wig to guess Microsoft Windows versions and Linux distribution and version.
- CMS version detection by: check sums, string matching and extraction
- Lists detected package and platform versions such as asp.net, php, openssl, apache
- Operation system fingerprinting by matching php, apache and other packages against a values in wig's database
- Checks for files of interest such as administrative login pages, readmes, etc
- Currently the wig's databases include 28,000 fingerprints
- Reuse information from previous runs (save the cache)
- Implement a verbose option
- Remove dependency on 'requests'
- Support for proxy
- Proper threading support
- Included check for known vulnerabilities
- Added fingerprints for more CMS, OS, platforms
- Improved and updated old fingerprints
- Proxy support
- List vulnerabilies associated with detected software version
- General site information (currently title, cookie, ip)
- Removed requirement for 3rd party python libs (requests). Now only requires Python3
- Improved verbose output
- Added a cache
- Improved structure of the output
- Detection of generally interesting files (readme, backups, etc)
- Implemented proper threading via thread pool
wig is built with Python 3, and is therefore not compatible with Python 2.
How it works
The default behavior of wig is to identify a CMS, and exit after version detection of the CMS. This is done to limit the amount of traffic sent to the target server. This behavior can be overwritten by setting the '-a' flag, in which case wig will test all the known fingerprints.
As some configurations of applications do not use the default location for files and resources, it is possible to have wig fetch all the static resources it encounters during its scan.
This is done with the '-c' option. The '-m' option tests all fingerprints against all fetched URLs, which is helpful if the default location has been changed.
usage: wig.py [-h] [-l INPUT_FILE] [-n STOP_AFTER] [-a] [-m] [-u]
[--no_cache_load] [--no_cache_save] [-N] [--verbosity]
[--proxy PROXY] [-w OUTPUT_FILE]
WebApp Information Gatherer
url The url to scan e.g. http://example.com
-h, --help show this help message and exit
-l INPUT_FILE File with urls, one per line.
-n STOP_AFTER Stop after this amount of CMSs have been detected. Default: 1
-a Do not stop after the first CMS is detected
-m Try harder to find a match without making more requests
-u User-agent to use in the requests
--no_cache_load Do not load cached responses
--no_cache_save Do not save the cache for later use
-N Shortcut for --no_cache_load and --no_cache_save
--verbosity, -v Increase verbosity. Use multiple times for more info
--proxy PROXY Tunnel through a proxy (format: localhost:8080)
-w OUTPUT_FILE File to dump results into (JSON)
Example of run:
$ ./wig.py example.com
wig - WebApp Information Gatherer
Redirected to http://www.example.com. Continue? [Y|n]:
--- HTML TITLE ---
SOFTWARE VERSION CATEGORY Drupal 7.28 | 7.29 | 7.30 | 7.31 | 7.32 CMS ASP.NET 4.0.30319.18067 Platform Microsoft-HTTPAPI 2.0 Platform Microsoft-IIS 6.0 | 7.0 | 7.5 | 8.0 Platform Microsoft Windows Server 2003 SP2 | 2008 | 2008 R2 | 2012 Operating System SOFTWARE VULNERABILITIES LINK Drupal 7.28 7 http://cvedetails.com/version/169265 Drupal 7.29 3 http://cvedetails.com/version/169917 Drupal 7.30 3 http://cvedetails.com/version/169916 DOMAIN TITLE IP http://m.example.com:80 mobile site 255.255.255.257 http://download.example.com:443 other site 255.255.255.257 TOOL SOFTWARE LINK CMSmap Drupal https://github.com/Dionach/CMSmap droopescan Drupal https://github.com/droope/droopescan URL NOTE CATEGORY /login/ Test directory Interesting URL /login/index_form.html ASP.NET detailed error Interesting URL /robots.txt robots.txt index Interesting URL /test/ Test directory Interesting URL _______________________________________________________________________________ Time: 15.7 sec Urls: 351 Fingerprints: 30560
Call wig as a function
- from wig import wig
- w = wig(url='example.com')
- results = w.get_results()