FireHOL: A Free And Open-Source Software Designed For IPtables
FireHOL is a free and open-source software which is designed for iptables written to easy the customization of the Linux Kernels firewall netfilter.
The main advantage of FireHOL is its friendliness to beginners - you don't have to worry about the answer packet because FireHOL first parses the configuration file and then sets the appropriate iptables rules to achieve the expected firewall behavior. Its goal is to be completely abstracted and powerful but also easy to use, audit, and understand.
- Dec 20, 2015 - FireHOL v3 Released
- Apr 26, 2015 - FireHOL 2.0.3
- Mar 14, 2015 - FireHOL 2.0.2 and 3.0.0-rc.2
- Feb 15, 2015 - FireHOL 2.0.1 and 3.0.0-rc.1
- Oct 24, 2014 - FireHOL 2.0.0 final released
- Oct 19, 2014 - FireHOL 2.0.0-rc.3 released
- Aug 02, 2014 - FireHOL 2.0.0-rc.1 released
- Oct 13, 2013 - FireHOL transitioning to a new home
- Jan 07, 2013 - FireHOL R5 v1.296 released
- Jul 31, 2008 - FireHOL R5 v1.273 released
Uses Of FireHOL:
It can be used for any purpose like:
- It is used to control internal/external/virtual interfaces.
- It can control any combination of routed traffic.
- It provides strong protection (flooding, spoofing, etc.)
- It can also be used in transparent caches, blacklists, whitelists.
- It is used in the classification of traffic by source, destination and type.
- It also provide bandwidth guarantees and allow optional borrowing of unused bandwidth.
Is it secure?
Yes, it is Secure because of the following reason:
- It has been designed with the right concept of firewalling.
- It produces stateful iptables packet filtering firewalls.
Features Of FireHOL:
- FireHOL is friendliness to beginners.
- FireHOL doesn't have a GUI, but it can be configured through an understandable plain text configuration file.
- It is a large, complex BASH script file, depending on the iptables console tools.
- FireHOL is portable: any Linux with iptables, BASH, with appropriate tools can run it.
- FireHOL produces stateful commands, for every supported service it needs to know the flow of requests and replies.
- FireHOL supports the following services:(HTTP, NNTP, SMTP, POP3, IMAP4, RADIUS, SSH, LDAP, MySQL, Telnet, NTP, DNS).