Nagios: An Open-source Computer Software That Monitors System And Networks.
Definition: Nagios is an open-source software which monitors critical IT infrastructure components, including system metrics, network protocols, applications, services, servers, and network infrastructure. It was originally designed to run under Linux, but it also runs well on other Unix.
Initial release- March 14, 1999
Stable release- Version 4.1.1 August 19, 2015.
Features Of Nagios:
Nagios offers monitoring and alerting services for servers, switches, applications and services.
- It alerts users two times firstly when things go wrong and the second time when the problem has been resolved.
- It Monitor many network services like(SMTP, POP3, HTTP, NNTP, ICMP, SNMP, FTP, SSH).
- It also Monitor host resources like(processor load, disk usage, system logs).
- It Monitor remotely run scripts via Nagios Remote Plugin Executor.
- It provides a simple plugin design by which users can easily develop their own service checks whatever they need.
- It also provides data graphing plugins.
- It enables automatic log file rotation.
- It also provides event handlers so that the problem will be resolved proactively when service or host events are running.
- It provides an optional web-interface by which we can easily know about current network status, notifications, problem history, log files, etc.
- It provides data storage via text files rather than the database.
Operational Functioning of Nagios:
The operational funtioning of the Nagios is below shown by using a flow diagram.
Status Reporting In Nagios:
Awards And Recognition:
Nagios had achieved so many awards.
- Nagios first runner-up in ShowNet's "Best of Show" Award.
- Nagios name Top IT Infrastructure Monitoring Tool by IT Central Station.
- Nagios voted Best Monitoring Application.
- Nagios named Network Monitoring Application of the Year.
- In 2011 Open Source Awards: Essential For Communications Networks.
- Nagios named Best Web Tool.
- Nagios named to Top 125 Security Tools by SecTools.org.
- LinuxCon Poll: Favorite IT Operations Tool.
- Infoworld named Nagios as one of the Best of Open Source Software.
- Nagios was the finalist in SourceForge Community Choice Awards
Here is video of the configuration of Nagios on Linux.
You can download Nagios Core (plugins, Frontends, Addons) all from the below link.