Critical Vulnerability Found In Wireless Medical Devices.
Cybersecurity researcher Scott Gayou found the vulnerability in Syringe infusion pump.
The Syringe infusion pumps are used to deliver small doses of medication from a variety of syringe sizes in acute care settings.
The vulnerabilities including Buffer overflow, improper certificate, hard-coded credentials and passwords, passwords stored in the configuration fiel and improper access control.
Medfusion 4000 Wireless Syringe Infusion Pump, Version 1.1, 1.5 and 1.6 are affected. The good thing is there is no known public exploits to target these vulnerabilities. But It can be possible when the attacker should have high skill to exploit these vulnerability remotely.
Cyber attackers can exploit these vulnerabilities and may allow remotely to gain unauthorized access and impact the intended operation of the Pump. Despite the segmented design, it may be possible for an attacker to compromise the communications module and the therapeutic module of the pump. said ICS-CERT
Smiths Medical is planning to release Version 1.6.1 for the Medfusion 4000 Wireless Syringe Infusion Pump in January, 2018.
- Smiths Medical recommends users apply the following defensive measures:
- Assign static IP addresses to the Medfusion 4000 Wireless Syringe Infusion Pump.
- Monitor network activity for rogue DNS and DHCP servers.
- Ensure network segments which the Medfusion 4000 medical infusion pumps are installed are segmented from other hospital and clinical information technology infrastructure.
- Consider network micro segmentation.
- Consider use of network virtual local area networks (VLANs) for the segmentation of the Medfusion 4000 medical infusion pumps.
- Apply proper password hygiene standards across systems (i.e., use uppercase, lowercase, special characters, and a minimum character length of eight).
- Do not re-use passwords.
- Routinely take backups and perform routine evaluations.
Smart devices are in every section, like Medical, Automobile, Electronics and many more. We should always aware of its security and keep to protect ourself from cyber attack.
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.