OpenStego: A Steganography Application
OpenStego is an open-source software which circulated under the terms of the GNU(General Public License v2.0.)
As well as it is a Steganography application that offers two main functionalities:
- Data Hiding: It can hide any data within a cover file such as - images.
- Watermarking: Watermarking files such as - images with an invisible signature. Even it can be utilized to find the unauthorized file copying.
Introduction Of Steganography:
Steganography is the technology of hiding the secret message inside another larger as well as the harmless looking message. This is one mark on over usual cryptography that is just unclear the real message. Steganography tries to hide the details about that there is a message in the first place. Steganographic message frequently shows to be something else than the real but secret message such as a picture, sound, larger text, etc.
Some terms correlated to Steganography:
- Plaintext: The real secret message that requires being communicated.
- Ciphertext: the Secret message is frequently first encrypted by using traditional methods. As well as encrypted message that is known as ciphertext.
- Cover text: A larger as well as harmless looking data that is used as the container for the plaintext/ciphertext. This can be a picture, sound, text, etc.
- Stegotext: The data created after inserting the plaintext/ciphertext into the cover text.
The normal process is to first decode the plaintext to create the ciphertext and then change the cover text in some way to contain the ciphertext. The created stegotext is sent above to the proposed recipient. If a third party snoops the stegotext in between, then they will just see some harmless looking picture as well as sound, etc.
Once the recipient accepts the stegotext, the ciphertext is removed from it by invalidated the logic that was used to embed it in the first place. The ciphertext is encoded by utilizing the traditional cryptography to get back the real plaintext.
Introduction Of Digital Watermarking:
Digital Watermarking is the procedure of inserting a secret marker in a noise-tolerant signal just like image data. It is critically used to discover the ownership of the copyright of such signal. The secret information should but does not essentially required to consist a relation to the carrier signal.
Digital watermarks may be used to validate the authenticity or integrity of the carrier signal or to display the individuality of its owners. It is highly used for tracing the copyright of infringements as well as for banknote authentication. Similarly traditional watermarks, digital watermarks are only detectable under certain conditions, i.e. after using some algorithm, and unnoticeable anytime else. If a digital watermark twists the carrier signal in a way which it becomes perceivable then it is of no use.
OpenStego offers the strong digital watermarking abilities such that the strength of watermark is not simply removed when the watermarked image is resized, cropped as well as some other negligible changes are done.
GNU General Public License version 2.0 (GPLv2)
- Data Hiding: It can hide any data within a cover file (e.g. images).
- Watermarking: Watermarking files (e.g. images) with an invisible signature. It can be used to detect unauthorized file copying.